Kikkoman‘s naturally brewed soy sauce contains just four ingredients – soybeans, wheat, salt and water – and has no artificial additives. The essential cooking sauce and seasoning for everyday dishes.
We are happy to share with HYPER JAPAN fans three different dishes using shoyu, soy sauce. Don’t forget to watch the introduction video which will help to make these easier!
Check here the recipe for:
How to make Chicken Sukiyaki すき焼き
Recipe by Kinu Yukawa from Sozai Cooking School
Sukiyaki Warishita Sauce
- 100ml Kikkoman Soy Sauce
- 100ml Mirin
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 200ml Water
- 400g Deboned Chicken
- Thigh or Tempeh / Seitan (for vegans)
- 1 pack Firm Tofu
- 1 bag Shirataki (Konjac Noodles)
- 1 Large Onion
- 2 Leek
- 2 cups Mixed Mushrooms (optional)
- 1 cup Watercress or Chinese Leaf
- 1 small Carrot
- 1 portion Boiled Udon Noodles, Egg Noodles or PastaIngredients
- Slice the leek, onions and carrots into thick slices. Cut the chicken thigh or tempeh / seitan to bite sizes and tofu into large cubes. Insert incisions on top of the shiitake mushrooms.
- Add all the ingredients for warishita sauce in a pot and bring it to a boil and set aside.
- Open the shirataki noodles and drain the water. Place the shirataki noodles in boiling water and parboil them for a few minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Lightly grease a large pan or cast iron pot with vegetable oil. Add the chicken and onions and pan fry until the surface is lightly browned.
- Then add the warishita sauce to the pan. Once the sauce starts to boil, add the rest of the ingredients.
- Let it simmer in low heat for a few minutes until the ingredients are cooked through.
Add the noodles at the end. Ladle the sukiyaki into individual bowls and place a little bit of each ingredient per serving. Enjoy eating sukiyaki as you cook away on the table!
*If the sauce gets too reduced and thick, simply dilute with water.
How to make Shoyu Ramen 醤油ラーメン
Recipe by Akemi Yokoyama from Sozai Cooking School
- Preparation: 3 hours
- Cooking:5 minutes
- 2 portions of ramen or oriental noodles
- 80ml shoyu ramen paste
- 400ml chicken stock
- 6 slice of char shu pork
- 2 ramen egg
- 2 spring onion
- 4 Tbsp sweetcorn
Prepare the following first:
- Topping Finely slice the spring onion
- Topping Cook char shu pork according to the recipe below. Slice thinly to serve.
- Topping Cook ramen egg according to the recipe below. Cut in half to serve.
- Topping Sweetcorn
- Shoyu ramen paste Make shoyu ramen paste according to the recipe below. Divide the paste in the serving bowls.
How to make shoyu ramen
- Cook noodle according to the package instruction.
- To make ramen soup, heat the chicken stock to a soft boil. When the noodle is almost ready, pour half of the hot chicken stock to the serving bowl with shoyu ramen paste, mix until the paste is dissolved. Repeat the process to the remaining bowl.
- Strain the noodle in the sink using a sieve by tossing several times, transfer the noodle immediately to the ramen soup.
- Add the toppings and serve immediately.
CHAR SHU PORK
- 100ml Kikkoman soy sauce
- 300g Pork Belly
- 50ml Mirin
- 50ml Sake
- 50g Sugar
- 150ml Water
- 1 Star anise
- Place a small oven-safe saucepan or a small but deep oven dish in the hob, cook the pork over medium heat. Turning over occasionally for 5 to 6 minutes or until the pork is golden brown all around.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, stir to dissolve sugar. Bring to a light boil.
- Cover with a foil or put a heat resistant lid. Cook in the oven for 2.5 hours. If the pork is not completely submerged under the sauce, turn over the pork several times during the cooking.
- 20ml Kikkoman soy sauce
- 2 Egg
- 10ml Mirin
- 5ml Sugar
- 1 Ziploc or freezer bag
- Take out the eggs from the fridge to bring to a room temperature an hour before cooking.
- Add soy sauce, mirin and sugar in a saucepan, bring to a light boil. Leave to cool.
- Took make perfect half boiled eggs, carefully place eggs in the boiling water, cook for 6 minutes over medium to high heat.
- Immediately, cool the eggs under the running tap water, or leave the eggs in the iced water for a minute.
- Peel the shells with the skin underneath straightaway. Roll the egg on the hard surface to crack the shell all over. The shell should peel easily
- Place the eggs in a Ziploc bag and pour (2). Remove as much air from the bag, close the zip firmly and leave in the fridge for 3 hours. If the eggs are not properly submerged in the sauce, turn the eggs a few times while storing.
SHOYU RAMEN PASTE
- 30ml Kikkoman soy sauce
- 30ml Oyster sauce
- 10ml Sesame oil
- 5ml Rice vinegar
- 5ml Salt
- Make ramen paste by mixing the ingredients, except the chicken stock.
How to make Shoyu Ankake Omurice 和風オムライス
Recipe by Izumi Nakamura from Sozai Cooking School
- 1 tbsp Kikkoman soy sauce
- 10g Butter
- 200g Cooked rice
- 50g Chicken
- 30g Onion
*Please feel free to adjust the amount of salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp Cream / milk
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil to coat the frying pan
- 1-2 Egg
*For a less sweet taste, please change from Maple syrup to Cooking sake
ANKAKE *Asian thick sauce
- 1 tbsp Kikkoman soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Mirin
- 300ml Water
- 30g Carrot
- 30g Mushroom
- 30g Green peas
- 3g Ginger ( optional )
[ Katakuriko water ]
1 tbsp katakuriko or potato starch + 2 tbsp water
- Making Ankake sauce. Cut the carrot in matchsticks and slice the mushroom. Place the cut vegetables and green peas in a saucepan. Add sliced or grated ginger for optional flavour. Add 300ml water and cook until the vegetables are soft. Add Kikkoman soy sauce and mirin then cook for another 5 mins. Leave it aside.
- Making fried rice. Cut the chicken in small pieces and chop the onion in fine dice. Heat the frying pan with the vegetable oil. Fry the chicken and onion until golden brown. Add the cooked rice, butter then lightly stir fry with a spatula. Add Kikkoman soy sauce and pepper for taste. Place the fried rice in a rice bowl. Flip the fried rice over on the serving bowl.
- Making egg omelets. Crack the egg in a bowl. Mix with cream / milk and maple syrup or cooking sake. Heat the pan and coat it with some vegetable oil. Cook the egg mixture for 10-20 seconds just like a crepe pancake. Place the cooked egg over the rice in the serving bowl.
- Finishing Ankake sauce. In a small cup, mix the katakuriko or potato starch with 2 tbsp water until it dissolves. Pour the katakuriko water over and mix well with the chopsticks. Heat the sauce until it becomes thicker.
- Pour the Ankake sauce on the shaped Omurice and serve.
Shoyu (Soy Sauce) from KIKKOMAN
Special thanks to Sozai cooking school
25 January 2022
23 January 2022
21 January 2022
21 January 2022
19 January 2022
Enter the Magical World of Japanese Kaleidoscope Art ・ A Visit to the Sendai Kaleidoscope Art Museum
07 January 2022
18 December 2021
15 December 2021
10 December 2021
08 December 2021