Be a Miso Maker! Free Virtual Miso Making Workshop with Marukome
Sun 28 Mar 2021 14:00 - 16:00
Book Before 17:00 Tue 16 Mar 2021
Fee: Free | Platform: ZOOM Online
Perfect chance to make your own miso!
HYPER JAPAN and MARUKOME are hosting a Virtual Miso Making Workshop, where you can enjoy the fermentation process. We’ll send you everything you need – so just register and join us on the day!
* Shipping only available within mainland UK
Miso is one of the most well-known Japanese condiments in the world today and it is recognized for its tremendous health benefits! It has been used for more than 1300 years.
At its most basic, Miso is a paste derived by fermenting soybeans. These soybeans are mixed with salt and a type of mold called koji (the same as is used to make sake).
The result is a delicious, appetizing paste that can infuse serious flavours in your tofu, ramen, soups, and even burgers, marinades, fish and stir-fry. But it’s most widely used for Japan’s most famous dish – miso soup.
- Date: Sunday, 28th March 2021
- Time: 2 pm – 4 pm
- Where: Zoom
- Price: FREE!
- Places are limited and will be allocated on a first-come-first-served basis. To secure your place, please register your details HERE!
What will happen at the Workshop?
[Before the event]
- Participants will receive Marukome’s Miso-making kit and instant Miso Soup in advance of the workshop.
- Participants will be asked to prepare the place in your house to make the miso.
- Participants will be asked to prepare their own favourite topping in advance. These toppings will be used when making instant Miso Soup in a Zoom call together.
[During the event]
- Everyone will get together on Zoom, and a Miso Specialist from Marukome will give the participants a hands-on workshop on miso making.
- After a miso making workshop, we will be making a cup of instant miso soup with each one’s favourite toppings. We will be sharing the ideas of unique miso soup toppings and tips to enjoy miso dishes!
[After the event]
- Participants will be asked to take a questionnaire about the class.
What are inside the Miso Making Kit?
- Steamed Soy Bean
- Rice Koji (a type of mold)
- Seed Miso(Ingredients: Rice, soybeans (non-MGO), salt)
- Container with lid
- Container for your original miso
- Rubber band & plastic bag
- Instruction manual(Japanese only)
- Observation note
- Sticker for the container
We will also send you instant miso soup which will be used when making instant Miso Soup in a Zoom call together.
- Instant miso soup（Ingredients: Miso (Soybeans, Rice, Salt), Dried Bonito Powder, Powdered Yeast Extract, Bonito Extract, Powdered Kelp, Dried Wakame Seaweed, Dried Green Onion. Contains: Barley, Soybeans, Bonito Fish)
Since its establishment in 1854, Marukome has offered fermented food products, including miso, to consumers for over 160 years. Marukome has now become the No.1 Miso Company thanks to their constant pursuit of innovation, production methods and new ideas.
For instance, in the old days when miso was delivered in barrels, Marukome was quick to start using cardboard boxes which were much easier to carry. Moreover, Marukome kept innovating in the miso industry to develop world’s first miso including Dashi (soup stock) and introduce new packaging styles which is more convenient to handle.
Nowadays, Marukome continues to evolve while producing not only miso but also koji and soybean products to spread Japan’s proud fermented food culture to the world.
Sozai Cooking School
Izumi grew up in Amakusa, a beautiful chain of five islands located in the south of Japan, blessed with delicious, natural, wholesome food -Izumi has never been far away from the joy that food can bring, honing her super-healthy recipes in surroundings with rich history.
She draws upon this upbringing in her work as an outstanding sushi chef, dietary consultant, and qualified sake sommelier. Her background as a trained and experienced pharmacist also enables her to create dishes and menus that are as nutritionally balanced as they are delicious.
She shares her passion for Japanese cooking and the health benefits to be had from it through her fun, informal, hands-on lessons. Her down to earth teaching and creative demonstrations at many companies and shows. She is the GM of Sozai cooking school, managing many events in London and creating various of live streaming shows. She is also founder of 5 Incorporated Ltd, offering private chef/corporate event catering services.
Izumi is a member of the Japanese Culinary Academy UK.More details