Free Japanese Calligraphy & Sumi-e demonstration & talk by Akemi Lucas
Sat 17 Jul 2021 11:00 - 12:00
Book Before 17:00 Fri 16 Jul 2021
Fee: Free | Platform: Zoom/Webinar
Akemi Lucas is a Japanese calligraphy master/artist based in the UK and one of the most popular and demanded instructor at HYPER JAPAN.
Currently, she is predominantly working on exhibitions, demonstrations, workshops, and commissions. Her artworks were used in the 2019 Rugby World Cup and a multi-media advertising campaign for the main sponsor of the British Olympic team for the Tokyo Olympic Games.
Join Akemi to find out the ancient art of Shodo- Japanese calligraphy and Sumi-e ink painting and its beauty and philosophy.
Type: Free Shodo & Sumi-e demonstration and talk
Date: 17th July 2021, Saturday
Time: 11:00-12:00 (1 hour with talk and 2 demonstrations)
Instructor’s profile: Akemi Lucas
Online tool: ZOOM/Webinar (link will be sent to you after your purchase**)
Akemi will talk about the following topics;
- The Origin of Chinese characters.
- How calligraphy started in China and calligraphy brushes and papers at that time. The role of the master calligrapher Wang Xizhi (王羲之) from 4th Century.
- How calligraphy was introduced in Japan along with Buddhism. The role of Prince Shotuku (聖徳太子) from 7th Century and a Japanese Buddhist monk & calligrapher Kukai : Koho Daishi (空海:弘法大師) from 8th Century.
- The development of brushes and calligraphy papers in Japan
- How Sumi-e ink painting became popular in Japan and the role of Sesshū Tōyō (雪舟) the most prominent Japanese master of ink and washi painting from 15th Century
- Modern state of Japanese calligraphy and Sumi-e ink painting
Akemi will answer some of your questions!
Followed by pre-recorded 2 demonstrations – 1 x Shodo – Japanese calligraphy and 1 x Sumi-e ink painting with Shodo.
** Please read our Terms and Conditions before you book your tickets: Terms and Conditions for HYPER JAPAN ONLINE EVENTS
**If you don’t receive any information one day before the Event, please send an email here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Japanese Calligraphy Master
Koshu Japanese Art (雅号：紅秋）
Koshu is the identity of Akemi Lucas as a Japanese calligraphy master. She was born in Japan and started learning calligraphy from the age of eight. Her distinct style of calligraphy builds on traditional skills, and further embodies of fusion of the ancient and the modern, the eastern and the western, and the before and the after.
Currently, she is based in the UK as a Japanese artist, predominantly working on exhibitions, demonstrations, workshops, and commissions. Her latest calligraphy artworks were used in the 2019 Rugby World Cup and a multi-media advertising campaign for the main sponsor of the British Olympic team for the Tokyo Olympic Games.