New Year Special “KAKIZOME” Japanese Calligraphy Workshop “Hope & To Soar” with Akemi Lucas
Sat 09 Jan 2021 10:00 - 13:00
Book Before 17:00 Fri 08 Jan 2021
Fee: £35.00 | Platform: ZOOM online
New Year Special “Kakizome” Shodo (Japanese Calligraphy) Workshop “希望＆飛”(Hope & To Soar）
“Kakizome” is a Japanese long-lasting tradition which dates back to 9th century royal customs to write a new year’s resolution or a wish with Japanese calligraphy. “Kakizome” is a popular New Year’s event in modern day Japan. School students write kakizome for their Winter homework and thousands of people write them together in the Tokyo Budokan every year.
For HYPER JAPAN’s 2021 “Kakizome” Workshop, Akemi has carefully chosen two special words, 希望 (kibō – Hope) and 飛 (tobu – To soar), to wish for brighter start to the new year.
In this special workshop, you will not only learn to write these two words in Kaiso, the regular script form, but Akemi will also guide you to enjoy drawing your own unique 飛 in a modern, expressionist form and also with a diluted ink – a technique used in “Sumi-e” ink painting .
This special 3 hour new year workshop will also give you an opportunity to sign your own name in katakana script on your kakizome calligraphy artwork. ( A thin brush will be required to write your own name.)
This is your chance to enjoy a unique Japanese tradition, and to put your hopes and dreams into your own beautiful calligraphy piece. Join Akemi’s 2021 “Kakizome” workshop and make a flying start of new year!
(*Above images from left to right: Akemi’s her own kakizome work and 2 of annual “kakizome” event at Tokyo Budokan)
Date: 9th January 2021, Saturday
Time: 10:00-13:00 (3 hours lesson,10 minutes break in between)
Instructor’s profile: Akemi Lucas
Online tool: ZOOM (link will be sent to you after your purchase**)
Ticket Price: £35 – Single person ticket
Ticket sales will end at 5pm on 8th January 2021, Friday.
Ticket with full calligraphy equipment set or with a small brush:
- £87 – Single person ticket with 1 full equipment set
- £45 – Single person ticket with 1 thin brush
(Incl. shipping fee inside the UK. Please see below for equipment details and the photo.)
Ticket sales including equipment will end at 5pm on 3rd January 2021, Sunday.
Participants are required to send their first name ( with pronunciation help) to HYPER JAPAN for Akemi to prepare a model of your own first name in Katakana script for the class.
Precautions: Over 15 years old
Please read the Terms carefully and make sure that you understand them before you submit your form.
**If you don’t receive any information one day before the class, please send an email here: email@example.com
Image of instructions you’ll practice at workshop.
Please be prepared 10 minutes before the workshop starts.
1. Greeting and brush warm-up exercise
2. Explanation of Kakizome and lesson plan
3. Practice of basic strokes 4. Practice of your name(10 minutes break)5. Stroke order of ”希望-Kibou”(Hope), and practice, finalise.
6. Stroke order of ”飛-Tobu”(Fly), and practice, finalise.
5. Expression ”飛-Tobu”(Fly) with dark ink, practice, finalise.
6. Expression ”飛-Tobu”(Fly) with water and ink, practice, finalise.
7. Writing your name on the finalised artworks.(finish workshop)Akemi will assess your work for comments by sending your work through HYPER JAPAN after the workshop.
Equipment needed for the class
Please prepare this equipment by yourself before the workshop starts.
- 2 of Japanese Calligraphy Brushes – 1 x thick and 1 x thin – thin brush to write your name
- Black calligraphy ink
- Calligraphy – Hanshi – paper (Around 50 paper will be needed)
- Ink Stone and a few small plates for ink and diluted ink
- Cloth (Felt): put under the paper.
- Paperweight (or anything heavy to put on the paper or Washi paper to fix)
- Water ( to dilute ink)
Details of Full Calligraphy set for sale
- 1 x Calligraphy – Hanshi – Paper set (contains 100 pieces)
- 1 x Black Calligraphy Ink bottle1 x Cloth (Felt) to put under the paper
- 1 x Thick Brush : Koshu Original ( Pictured in the main calligraphy set on left)
- 1 x Thin Brush ( Pictured below right – only one available colour will be included)
Details of Calligraphy thin brush for sale
One of the thin brush pictured below will be sent to you. ( One colour available at the point of despatch will be sent to you.)
* Equipments will be sent to you by the instructor directly.
Japanese Calligraphy Master
Koshu Japanese Art (雅号：紅秋）
Koshu is the identity of Akemi Lucas as a Japanese calligraphy master. She was born in Japan and started learning calligraphy from the age of eight. Her distinct style of calligraphy builds on traditional skills, and further embodies of fusion of the ancient and the modern, the eastern and the western, and the before and the after.
Currently, she is based in the UK as a Japanese artist, predominantly working on exhibitions, demonstrations, workshops, and commissions. Her latest calligraphy artworks were used in the 2019 Rugby World Cup and a multi-media advertising campaign for the main sponsor of the British Olympic team for the Tokyo Olympic Games.More details