Chinese Egg Noodle Soup (Ramen)
This is a big favourite in Japan and its secret lies in the its subtle soy flavour.
- 100g ramen noodles
- 2l water
- 3 chicken thighs (with bone)
- 1 spring onion
- 1 onion
- whole celery leaves
- vegetable scraps such as carrot ends, ginger skin, green leaf vegetables
- 5 niboshi
- 20g katsuobushi
- 1 tbsp lard
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- some pepper
- 1 slice roast pork
- 1 sheet nori
- some menma
- Cook the chicken thighs in boiling water, then drain and rinse.
- Place the chicken in a deep pan of fresh water, add A, stir and cook on high.
- Lower the heat just before the water boils, and remove any scum from the water surface. Cook for 1 hour, occasionally skimming off the scum. Once cooked, strain the stock through a colander.
- Put approx. 1l of the stock into another pan, add B and simmer on a low heat. Strain it again.
- Place C in a deep bowl and pour in the stock.
- Add the boiled noodles to the bowl.
- Arrange D on the top and garnish with finely chopped spring onion.