Creamed Kipper & Crispy Bacon Sushi
Adults’ First Winner sushi by Marc Curreen, from the Original Sushi Competition 2005.
- 96g sushi rice
- 90g smoked kipper fillet(skinned and flaked)
- 10g butter
- 50ml milk
- 100ml double cream
- 1 tbsp corn flour(dissolved in 4/1 cup water)
- 2tbsp parsley(finely chopped)
- 2 stripes streaky bacon
- Melt the butter in a saucepan on a medium heat. Add kipper flakes and saute for 2mins, occasionally stirring gently.
- Add the milk and poach the kipper for 5mins. Stir in double cream and simmer for 5-7 mins. Remove from heat and slowly stir in corn flour solution.
- Return to a medium heat and simmer for 2mins, stirring until mixture thickens. Stir in chopped parsley and simmer briefly. Allow to cool.
- Grill bacon until crispy. Drain and cool on a paper towel. Cut into 6cm strips.
- Make 6 oval shaped rice balls with sushi rice. Place kipper mixture on top of rice balls and top each with a strip of bacon.