East End Sushi
Winner of the 2012 Original Sushi Competition. Recipe by Karen Wong.
- 1 pkt pre-prepared salt beef sliced thinly
- horseradish, bagel chips
- black and white sesame seeds, toasted
For the pickled vegetables
- 4 carrots
- 1 mooli (daikon)
- 1 cup sugar + 2 tbsp sugar
- 1.5 cups white vinegar
For the sushi
- 500g brown sushi rice
- Sushi nori cut into 2cm strips
- 625mL cold water
- Sushisu vinegar
For the pickled vegetables (prepare the night before)
- Julienne carrot & mooli and rub with salt. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Boil 1 cup of sugar to 1.5 cups white vinegar until sugar dissolved. Leave liquid to cool.
- Add 2 tablespoons of sugar to the julienned carrot and mooli and set aside again for 10 minutes.
- Squeeze dry the carrot & mooli.
- Pour cooled sugar and vinegar mixture over carrot & mooli and leave overnight. For the sushi rice.
For the sushi
- Place the rice in a bowl and pour some water into the bowl, washing out any impurities in the rice.
- Wash the rice by stirring it with your hand, repeating up to five times until the water turns clear.
- Leave the rice in a bowl of water for 30 minutes to absorb the water.
- Drain out the water and place the rice and 625ml of water in a saucepan with a tight-fitting lit. Bring to the boil over a medium heat. When the boiling point is reached, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave for a further 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Next, use a spatula to remove the rice from the pan, and place in a wide, shallow container. Spread the rice evenly across the bowl using the spatula, taking care not to crush the kernels.
- Add the sushisu vinegar to the rice. Using the spatula, make gentle cutting and folding movements to mix the vinegar thoroughly into the rice.
- As you cut and fold the vinegar through the rice, fan the rice with a paper fan to ensure it cools down quickly.
- Wet your hands with some sushi vinegar mixture used to make sushi rice. Take some sushi rice in your hand. Lightly shape it into oval mounds.
- Put a dollop of horseradish onto the top of the rice mound.
- Cut the slices of salt beef in half with a sharp knife. Take one slice and put it into the palm of your hand.
- Place some carrot and mooli pickle in the centre of the slice and fold the salt beef in half lengthways.
- Place the beef and pickle on top of the mound of sushi rice and sprinkle with the toasted black and white sesame seeds.
- Take a strip of seaweed and wrap it across the width of the slice of beef, securing it together with a small amount of water on the underside of the sushi.
- Add another small dollop of horseradish onto the top of the seaweed and place a bagel chip on the horseradish garnish