Fresh Tuna and Avocado Don with S&B Wasabi Sauce
Donburi is a quintessential Japanese dish that’s a big household favourite. To make a donburi, take a big bowl of rice and top with whatever you’re hungry for juicy pork cutlet for katsu-don, sliced cooked beef for gyu-don, or heaps of just-fried tempura for ten-don. Here, we’ve combined the distinct flavour of sushi rice with avocado and fresh tuna for a simple but special don. The combination of raw tuna with creamy avocado is sensational, while the piquant wasabi sauce simultaneously complements the creaminess of the sauce while cutting through the avocado. This is really worth a try.
- 200 g raw tuna (sashimi quality, can be eaten raw)
- 2 avocados
- 10 cm cucumber, diced into 0.5 cm cubes
- For the creamy wasabi dressing:
- 2 tbsp S&B Wasabi Sauce
- 3 tbsp sour cream (or mayonnaise)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic, grated
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- salt, to season
- 1 tbsp soy sauce, to serve
- 600 g sushi rice
- green leaves; a bunch of baby cress; lemon rind, to garnish
- To make the creamy wasabi dressing, combine all the ingredients in a bowl (a), then place in the fridge.
- Dice the avocado into 1 cm cubes. Sprinkle with lemon juice to stop the flesh turning brown.
- Dice the tuna into 1 cm cubes. Place the tuna, avocado, and cucumber in a large bowl (b), and combine with the creamy wasabi dressing (c).
- Put the sushi rice in a soup bowl, place the green leaf on top, then spread over the tuna and avocado mixture.
- Garnish with baby cress and lemon rind. Then serve with a drizzle of soy sauce, and extra wasabi sauce on top if you like it hot.