Fried Udon Noodles (Yaki Udon)
Comfort food, J-style. Whip up a portion when you’re after a filling lunch or dinner!
- 2 packs soft boiled udon noodle
- 70g smoked pancetta cubes
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 carrot, cut into stripes
- 2 leaves green cabbage, diced
- 80g bean sprouts
- 40g ginger, finely sliced into stripes
- 4 stems spring onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
For the seasoning mixture:
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- black pepper
- Some katsuobushi (drind bonito flakes)
- Some aonori (green nori flakes)
- Some sushi-gari
- Pour boiling water over udon noodles, stirring until disentangled, then drain water.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the pancetta cubes until brown. Then add the onion, carrot and cabbage and cook for a few minutes.
- Add udon noodles, bean sprouts and ginger to the pan, then stir-fry everything together.
- Pour the seasoning mixture into the pan, stir-fry until the liquid evaporates.
- Top with katsuobushi and aonori, and serve hot.