Green Tea and Soy Sauce Ice Cream
This ice cream has a tangy freshness and rich smoothness that is unusual and delightful.
- 3 egg yolks
- 125g granulated sugar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 100ml milk
- 1 cup double cream
- 2 tsp granulated sugar for whipping cream
- 1 cup strongly brewed green tea (1 1/2 tbsp green tea leaves to 250ml hot water)
- Mix the egg yolks with the sugar and soy sauce.
- Add milk to the egg mixture and strain. Cook over a very low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spatula until the mixture starts steaming and thickens slightly.
- Remove from the heat and put pan in cold water. Mix in the cooled (cold) green tea.
- Process the mixture in an ice cream maker until partially frozen. Add heavy cream that has been whipped with sugar until soft peaks form.
- Continue processing until the mixture hardens.
- Serve with nuts.