Matcha Green Tea Pudding
Matcha powder is traditionally used in the Japanese tea ceremony and also a popular baking ingredient in Japan. This is a chilled custard dessert that has a rich and mildly bitter green tea flavour and creamy in texture.
- 1 1/2 tbsp green tea matcha powder
- 100ml milk
- 150ml single cream
- 50g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- Whipped cream, to serve (optional)
- Green tea matcha powder, to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven 160C/320F.
- Mix the green tea powder with 3 tbsp of warm water until dissolved. Set aside.
- Place the milk, single cream in a small saucepan oven medium heat until just comes to the boil. Add the dissolved green tea and mix.
- Place the eggs, egg yolk and sugar in a bowl and mix until well combined. Gradually add the milk mixture, mix to combine.
- Strain the mixture through a fine-meshed strainer and pour into the cups.
- Place in a deep baking dish and pour in some hot water.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until set.
- Remove from the baking dish and refrigerate until cool.
- Serve topped with the whipped cream and green tea matcha powder if desired.