Ground Tofu with Vegetables (Shiro-ae)
This can be made in bulk and pulled out of the fridge as a side dish or lunchbox filler.
- 280g cotton tofu (1 standard block), strained
- 500g konnyaku
- 1 small carrot
- 4 shiitake mushrooms
- 5 tbsp ground white sesame seeds
- 100g spinach
- 240ml dashi
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sake
- 1 1/2 tbsp white miso paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp dashi
- Boil the konnyaku and carrot in water for 2 minutes, and then cut them up, 4.5cm x 1cm. Stem the shiitake and cut into 3cm slices.
- Cook the konnyaku, carrot and shiitake in a pan together with A, until the liquid has reduced to nothing.
- Wrap the drained tofu in a tea towel to remove excess water. It may be helpful to place a bowl or something similar on top for about 10 minutes.
- Grind the tofu and ground sesame together with a mortar and pestle, then add B. Cook the spinach then add to tofu along with the other ingredients. Mix well and serve.