Gyu-don (Beef Bowl Donburi)
The donburi is such a popular dish in Japan that there are restaurants devoted to it. This is one of the most common varieties.
- 130g rice
- 100g thinly sliced beef
- 1/4 onion
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- beni shoga (red-pickled ginger)
- 240ml dashi (soup stock)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sake
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Cut the onion into slices (5mm). Cut the beef into bite size pieces (3cm).
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion and the beef. Add [A], bring it to the boil, and then lower the heat and cook for 10 minutes.
- Place the rice in a bowl, and pour over the cooked topping. Garnish with red pickled ginger.