Kani Kani Sushi
Winner of the 2006 Original Sushi Competition. Recipe by Jaturavit Saysena.
- 2 softshell crab
- 200g potato starch
- 100g dried red chili
- some spring onion, chopped
- some cucumber, chopped
- some capsicum chili (red), finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 100 ml olive oil
- 100g spicy miso
- cucumber strips
- some salt and pepper
- 200g sushi rice
- 1tbsp tobikko
- 1tbsp wasabi tobikko
- 2 prawns, cooked in tempura batter
- 2tbsp ripe avocado, chopped
- 2tbsp lime juice
- Chop up the two tempura prawns and combine with the sushi rice, which has been mixed with wasabi tobikko and tobikko.
- Make the sauce by combining olive oil, chopped tomato, chopped capsicum chili, chopped garlic, chopped coriander, and salt and pepper to taste in a container, and mix with spicy miso.
- Mix the potato starch and red dried chili.
- Coat the softshell crab in the mixed potato starch and tou-garashi. Deep fry the soft-shell crab until golden brown. Put on kitchen paper and remove excess oil.
- Chop the softshell crab in half vertically. Put a small amount of sushi rice, topped with tobikko, on top of the crab. Wrap the crab and sushi rice together with a 1 cm strip of cucumber.
- Put a small amount of sauce on top of the crab sushi.
- Place chopped avocado and spring onion on top of sushi as garnish.