Lettuce Roll Sushi
Children’s Finalist sushi by Sumomo Ito, from the Original Sushi Competition 2003.
- 200g sushi rice
- 6 leaves lettuce
- 30g bacon, sliced
- 4 asparagus
- Some oil, for frying
- Boil the lettuce but don’t allow to become too soft. Boil the asparagus in salted water and drain.
- Wrap each piece of asparagus with bacon, and lightly fry.
- On a sheet of cling film, place a few lettuce leaves in a horizontal line, overlapping by a few inches. Spread 200g sushi rice over the lettuce, leaving 1cm free on the far side. Lay the wrapped asparagus in a horizontal line on the lettuce leaves.
- Place your thumbs under the cling film and lift whilst supporting the filling with your fingers then, pressing lightly, roll away from you.
- Remove the cling film and slice into 6 pieces.