Mushroom with Sweet Rice
There are many types of okowa in Japan, such as red beans (sekihan) and chestnut okowa, mountain vegetables (sansai) okowa, but you can also make okowa with a variety of ingredients. This recipe is a seasonal okowa with a variety of wild mushrooms and gingko nuts.
- 150 ml Japanese rice
- 150 g mochigome (sweet rice)
- 1 cup of mushrooms, mixed
- 5 cm lotus root
- 8 ginkgo nuts, if available
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- a little aonori
- Combine the Japanese rice and mochigome rice, and wash in a strainer under running water.
- Leave to drain for 30 mins, until the rice separates again. Meanwhile, trim the mushrooms.
- Add the rice, mushrooms, lotus root, gingko nuts, sake, salt, soy sauce, sesame oil, and 300ml of water in the a pan. Mix well.
- Remove from the heat and leave it for 10 mins to rest.
- Mix gently from the bottom to the top.
- When serving, sprinkle a little aonorion top of the rice.