Nasu no Miso Dengaku (Grilled Aubergine with Miso Paste)
This classic Japanese dish provides a winning taste combination of sweet aubergine and savoury miso.
- 1 large aubergine
- vegetable or sunflower oil for deep frying
- 1/2 egg yolk
- sesame seeds (for topping)
- 50g red miso
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sake
- 1 tbsp mirin
- Cut the aubergine in half lengthways. Heat the oil in a deep pan and fry both pieces, the skin side first, followed by the other side until they are soft. Drain well.
- Put [A] into a small pan and simmer, stirring constantly. When it becomes sticky, remove from the heat and mix with yolk.
- Put the miso paste on the cut sides of the aubergine and grill until brown on top. Garnish with sesame seeds.