Pumpkin Katsu Curry with S&B Golden Curry Sauce Mix
Texture loaded and super comforting, katsu curry is well established as a firm UK favourite. This vegetarian version, topped with a sweet and crunchy kabocha pumpkin croquette, brings another dimension to this all-rounder meal while retaining the combination of aromatic spice, breadcrumb crunch, and silky sauce that’s the secret to its popularity.
For the curry sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 large carrot, grated
- 92g S&B Golden Curry Sauce Mix
- Cooked rice and a selection of vegetables to serve
For the pumpkin croquettes
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 medium onion, minced
- 200g kabocha pumpkin, peeled, seeded, and cut into large chunks
- 200g floury potatoes, such as Maris Piper or King Edward, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1/3 tsp salt
- A pinch of black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 100g panko breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large pan, fry the onion and carrot over a medium heat until softened. Add 620ml water, bring to the boil, reduce the heat, simmer for 10 mins.
- Remove from the heat, then add the curry sauce mix, in pieces, stirring until completely melted. Simmer gently for another 5 mins, stirring constantly.
- To make the croquettes, heat the butter in a frying pan, sauté the onion over a medium heat until softened, and set aside.
- Place the pumpkin and potatoes in separate saucepans, add enough water to cover. Bring them to the boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook until fork tender.
- Drain the pumpkin and potatoes well with a colander and then return to the saucepans, set over a very low heat for about 1-2 mins to evaporate excess moisture.
- Mash the pumpkin and potatoes together. Add the sautéed onion, salt and black pepper, and combine well.
- Divide the mixture into 4 portions, form the mixture into flattened, oval-shaped patties. Cover and chill them in the fridge for at least 30 mins.
- Put flour, panko breadcrumbs, and beaten egg onto separate plates. Coat the cooled patties with the flour, then the beaten egg, then dip in the panko breadcrumbs. Repeat for the other patties.
- Heat vegetable oil in a heavy-based pan to 170°C. Deep fry the croquettes until golden. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Cut each croquette in half, arrange on top of the curry sauce, and serve with cooked rice and vegetables.