Rabbit Sushi (Usagi Sushi)
Children’s Bronze Winner sushi by Kaori Date, from the Original Sushi Competition 2003.
- 150g sushi rice
- 6 strips of nori (8cm x 1cm)
- 18 pieces of salmon roe
- 24 pieces hijiki
- 12 slices cucumber
- 60g squid sashimi, finely chopped
- 3 quail eggs, boiled
- 3 umeboshi
- De-stone the umeboshi and mix with the squid sashimi, which has been finely chopped.
- Place 25g of sushi rice in your left hand, add 1/6 of the sashimi mix, and mould into an oval shape. Repeat 6 times.
- Wrap the sushi rice with the nori strips.
- Carve 2 narrow slices of cucumber from the cucumber slices and arrange to form an ear. Repeat for 11 times until all the rabbits have two ears.
- Use the salmon roe for the eyes and noses, and hijiki for the whiskers. Add half a quail egg at the back of each sushi piece for a tail.