Rice with Chestnuts (Kuri-gohan)
The warm and distinctive flavour of chestnuts makes simple rice into an autumn feast.
- 450g rice, uncooked
- 12-16 chestnuts
- black sesame seeds, toasted, to garnish
- 660ml dashi
- 1 tbsp sake
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tsp salt
- Shell the chestnuts and remove the inner skin.
- Soak the chestnuts in water for 2-3 hours, then cut any larger chestnuts into bite size pieces.
- Place the rice, chestnuts, dashi, sake, mirin and salt into a rice cooker and cook.
- Serve in a bowl, sprinkled with toasted black sesame seeds.