Seared Tuna Steaks with Ponzu Sauce x Shirakabegura Mio Sparkling Sake
This quick-seared tuna steak, served with a citrus-soy ponzu sauce and garnished with crispy fried garlic, is an impressive but surprisingly easy appetiser that pairs perfectly with Shirakabegura Mio Sparkling Sake. Give your evening meal an authentic, up-scale Japanese izakaya edge with this simple yet sophisticated recipe.
- 2 100g tuna steaks
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
For the ponzu sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tsp lemon or yuzu juice
- Pat dry the tuna steaks with kitchen paper and season with kosher salt and black pepper on both sides.
Thinly slice the garlic.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over a medium-high heat, fry the garlic until crispy and golden. Remove the fried garlic and set aside. In the same skillet, sear the tuna steaks for 1-2 min per side, until cooked as desired. Remove from the skillet and rest on a chopping board for about 5 mins.
- Meanwhile, mix together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, mirin, and citrus juice in a small bowl. Add to the skillet, simmer for 1 min.
- Slice the tuna steaks into 1/2 inch slices. Place on a serving plate, drizzle with the sauce and garnish with the fried garlic.