Simmered Hijiki (Hijiki no Nimono)
A rich tasting dish that goes well with plain rice, and can be kept in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- 30g dried hijiki
- 1 piece thin fried bean curd (abura-age)
- 1 small carrot
- 150ml dashi
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sake
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Rinse the hijiki well until the water runs clear; then soak in plenty of water for 30 minutes. Cut into bite size pieces.
- Put the abura-age in a sieve, preferably bam boo, and pour boiling water through it to remove excess oil. Cut in half lengthways and into fine strips.
- Cut the carrot into very fine strips.
- Place the hijiki, abura-age and carrot in a pan, add the dashi, stock, sugar and sake, and bring to a boil.
- Cut some cooking foil slightly smaller than the pan in diameter, and cover the hijiki. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce and simmer again until the hijiki absorbs the dashi broth.