Simmered Mackerel with Miso Sauce (Saba no Miso-ni)
This dish is popular with Japanese mums. Enjoy its rich taste with a bowl of white rice.
- 2 mackerel fillet (one side of the body)
- small piece of fresh ginger, for seasoning
- 30g red miso
- small piece of fresh ginger, for garnish
- some cooking foil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp sake
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 150ml water
- Cut the fish in half along with body, then cut two slits across each piece
- Boil <A> in a pan then add the mackerel (skin side up).
- Slice the ginger thinly, sprinkle it over the mackerel and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Ladle some soup from the pan into a small bowl. Mix into the miso and return to the pan.
- Cover the mackerel with a piece of cooking foil slightly smaller than the pan in diameter.
- Simmer for 12 minutes, occasionally shaking the pan so that the mackerel absorbs the sauce.
- Serve the fish on a plate with the sauce. Garnish with grated ginger.