Sushi Eggs Benedict
Winner of the 2002 Original Sushi Competition. Recipe by Maggie Thurer.
Makes 4 piecies
- 60g sushi rice
- 4 quails eggs
- 4 slices smoked salmon (approx. 18g each)
For the Hollandaise sauce
- 1 egg yolk
- 100g melted butter
- salt and pepper
- 800ml water
- 40ml vinegar
- Make the Hollandaise sauce: put the egg yolk in a bowl then add boiling water, halfway up the bowl, stirring in the butter little by little until the mixture becomes mayonnaise-like in consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Boil the water and vinegar and poach the quails eggs (break the eggs gently so they cook with a nice shape).
- Take 15g of rice in your right hand and gently mould it into the shape of a ship’s hull. Repeat four times.
- Put a slice of smoked salmon on top of each piece of rice, then put the poached eggs on top and spread the Hollandaise sauce