Finalist’s Maki sushi by Meltem Baykaner (age 11), from the Original Sushi Competition 2003.
- 140g sushi rice
- 20g cucumber
- 20g tomato
- 20g red onion
- 6 boiled prawns(ready prepared for sushi)
- 4 leaves of Chinese cabbage (preferably large)
- Some mayonnaise
- Boil the Chinese cabbage, but don’t let it get too soft.
- Slice the onion and soak in water, then chop the tomato (boiled briefly then peeled) and cucumber finely. Mix the rice with the vegetables.
- On top of a sheet of cling film, place the leaves of the Chinese cabbage vertically in a horizontal line overlapping by a few inches and with the white part closest to you. Spread on 2) in a horizontal line and slightly flatten, then put on the prawns, horizontally, in a line along the middle and top with mayonnaise.
- Place your thumbs at the back of the cling film and lift it, whilst supporting the filing with the rest of your fingers. Then, pressing lightly, roll away from you.
- Remove the cling film and slice into 6 pieces.