Sweet Bean Paste (Whole)
This version of bean paste, also known as ogura-an, uses the whole bean, skin and all, to make this deliciously sticky and sweet jam-like paste, great for desserts and cakes. For a skinless version, see koshian.
- 400g tinned azuki beans (in water, no added sugar or salt), drained
- 120g caster sugar (one part sugar to two parts beans)
- a pinch of salt
- Place the entire contents of the can in a pan, and sprinkle the caster sugar on top. Heat on a medium flame.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, turn to a low flame and simmer gently, until all the liquid in the pan has evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and add a pinch of salt. Arrange on a shallow plate and allow to cool.