Tempura Bowl (Tendon)
This dish dates back to the 16th century and still tastes great today!
- 130g rice, cooked
- 2 prawns, deveined
- 1 aubergine
- 4 green beans
- some vegetable of sunflower oil for deep-frying
- 100g plain flour, sifted
- 1 egg
- 160 cold water
- 50ml dashi
- 15ml soy sauce
- 15ml mirin
- Shell the prawns, leaving the tail on. Cut off the tips of the tails, then score the undersides several times.
- Use the aubergine whole if they are very small, otherwise cut them in slices.
- Cut the beans in half.
- To make the batter, beat the egg in a bowl, add the cold water and flour, and mix lightly.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based deep pan.
- Dip the prawn, aubergine, and beans into the batter and deep-fry them until they float on the surface of the oil. Place them on kitchen paper to remove excess oil.
- Place all the sauce ingredients in a small pan and bring them to a boil. Arrange the tempura on a bowl of rice and pour over the sauce.