Tempura with Seaweed Flavour (Isobe-age)
2 types of tempura with a taste from the ocean.
- 150g pumpkin
- 150g sweet potato
- 100g plain flour
- 1 egg
- 150ml chilled water
- 1 sheet nori
- 1.5 tsp ao-nori flakes
- some vegetable oil for deep-frying
<For the dipping sauce>
- 200ml dashi
- 50ml soy sauce
- 50ml mirin
- Cut the pumpkin and sweet potato into thin slices, 4-5mm in width. Crush the nori into very small pieces.
- Beat the egg in a bowl. Add the flour and water, and mix well.
- Transfer half the batter to another bowl, and mix with the nori. Mix the remaining batter with the ao-nori.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan to 180C.
- Dip the vegetables into either type of batter and deep-fry until they float on the surface of the oil. Place them on kitchen paper to remove any excess oil.
- Put the ingredients for the sauce in a pan and bring to the boil. Place the tempura on a plate and serve with a bowl of the dipping sauce.