Teriyaki Chicken with Black Pepper Mayo
This is a really healthy way to cook chicken, using only the fat found naturally inside the chicken thighs. Teriyaki sauce goes wonderfully well with grilled chicken that’s lovely and juicy on the inside, with crispy skin on the outside. This recipe adds a new twist, combining the mildness of mayonnaise with the warm spice of freshly ground black pepper. Think of it as a grown-up way to spice up the sweetness of your everyday teriyaki chicken.
- 2 chicken thighs
- 1 spring onion
- 2 cherry tomatoes, to garnish
- mayonnaise (preferably a Japanese brand)
- freshly ground black pepper
For the teriyaki sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sake or white wine
- 1 tbsp water
- Insert the knife diagonally either side of the bone running through the chicken thigh, and remove the bone.
- Place the thighs skin down in a frying pan, and cook on a high heat until the skin browns.
- Turn the thighs over and the heat down to medium. Place a lid on the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, use a piece of kitchen paper to remove any excess oil in the pan.
- Mix all the ingredients for the sauce together well, and add to the pan, turning the chicken over in the sauce until it is well coated.
- Remove the chicken from the pan, slice and plate. Pour over any remaining sauce from the pan.
- Slice the spring onion on the diagonal, and scatter over the chicken. Garnish with the cherry tomato. Pour mayonnaise over the chicken and finish with plenty of freshly ground black pepper.