A distinctly Japanese version of an all time favourite.
- 280g cotton tofu (1 x standard size), strained
- 150g minced beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 shiso leaves
- Some plain flour
- 1 beaten egg
- some breadcrumbs or panko
- some vegetable or sunflower oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- some salt
- Wrap the drained tofu in a tea towel to remove any excess water. Mash the tofu with A. Stem the shiso leaves, and cut finely, then mix in with the tofu.
- Fry the chopped onion and add the minced beef. Once cooked, remiove them from the pan and add to the tofu mixture.
- Shape the mixture into 8 small balls, and then coat each in flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs consecutively. Deep-fry them until the surface is browned. Use kitchen paper to remove the excess oil.