Tofu with Savoury Sauce (Ankake-dofu)
Warmed tofu served in a silky sauce of classic Japanese flavours.
- 280g cotton tofu (1 x standard size block, drained)
- 2 chicken thigh, boned
- 60g carrot
- 4 shiitake mushroom
- 60g shungiku leaves
- 10g cornflour mixed with 15ml water
- some grated ginger
- 350ml dashi
- 4 tbsp mirin
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces, and the carrot into thin sticks. Stem the shiitake and slice finely.
- Cook the chicken in a pan with A, the carrots and shiitake, no a medium heat. When the chicken is cooked, add the cornflour mixture tot hicken.
- Cut the drained tofu in quarters, and heat it up in another pan with hot water. Remove tofu from the pan, serve it on a plate, and pour the chicken and vegetable sauce over it. Serve with shungiku, which has been boiled very quickly then cut into 4cm length strips, and garnish with the grated ginger.