Children’s Finalist sushi by Shintaro Kurata, from the Original Sushi Competition 2003.
- 120g sushi rice
- 30g salmon fillet
- 6 asparagus
- 3g sesame seeds
- 6 tomatoes
- 3 tbsp sake
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- some salt, to taste
- Sprinkle some salt (or soy sauce) and sake onto the salmon, wrap in foil, and bake in the oven at 200¬∞C for 10 mins. Break the salmon up into pieces and pour soy sauce on the top.
- Boil the asparagus in salted water then cut into halves.
- Remove the spikes from the top halves of the asparagus and slice each half in half again, lengthways this time. These will be your ‘arms’. Finely chop the bottom halves.
- Mix the sushi rice, the salmon, the chopped asparagus and the sesame seeds. Slice off the the tops of the tomatoes neatly; you will need these later. Scoop out the seeds, and stuff the tomatoes with the sushi rice mixture.
- Cut slits into the sides of the tomatoes, and insert your asparagus ‘arms’. Replace the tops onto the tomatoes.