Yu-dofu (Simmered Tofu)
This simple yet satisfying dish packs a powerful umami punch, whilst the spring onions and ginger combine to create a light, refreshing taste.
- 560g cotton tofu (2 x standard size block), strained
- 1 sheet kombu (15cm x 15cm)
- 2 spring onions
- 30g ginger
[For dipping sauce]
- 150ml dashi
- 130ml soy sauce
- 75ml mirin
- Make several slits in the kombu (cutting one direction only). Cut the tofu into 8 pieces, and finely slice the spring onions. Grate the ginger.
- Place the ingredients for the dipping sauce in a pan and bring it to the boil. Pour the sauce in individual small dipping bowls and add some spring onion and ginger to taste.
- Place the kombu in a pot (preferably clay) of water, just over half full, and bring it to the boil. Add the tofu, and leave to simmer. Remove the tofu just before the pot returns to the boil. Dip in the sauce before eating.